My Shopping List
Caprese Polenta Burgers
Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 20 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1-1/2 lb. ground beef
+ 2/3 c. balsamic vinegar
+ 1 pkg. (16 to 18 oz.) refrigerated prepared polenta, cut into 8 slices
+ 2 Tbsp. olive oil
+ salt and pepper
+ 1 pkg. (8 oz.) fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 slices
+ 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 4 slices each
+ thinly sliced fresh basil
What to do:
1. Bring vinegar to a boil in 2-qt. saucepan. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 9-10 min. or until reduced to 1/3 c. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile lightly shape ground beef into eight 1/2-in. thick patties.
3. Brush polenta slices with oil. Place patties in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange polenta around patties. Grill patties, uncovered, 11-12 min. (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 9-10 min.), turning burgers occasionally, until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers (160°F) and basting with 2 Tbsp. reduced vinegar after turning. Grill polenta, uncovered, 11-12 min. (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 9-10 min.) or until heated through, turning once. Season burgers with salt and pepper, as desired.
4. For each serving, layer 1 each polenta slice, burger, mozzarella slice and tomato slice. Drizzle with remaining vinegar and sprinkle with basil, as desired.
* Nutrition information per serving using 95% lean ground beef.
* Nutritional information using 80% lean ground beef: 335 calories; 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat; 8 g monounsaturated fat); 67 mg cholesterol; 397 mg sodium; 17 g carbohydrate; 2.3 g fiber; 27 g protein; 3.8 mg niacin; 0.3 mg vitamin B6; 1.7 mcg vitamin B12; 2.2 mg iron; 16.1 mcg selenium; 4.3 mg zinc.
* This recipe is an excellent source of protein, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of niacin, vitamin B6, and iron.
* Recipe Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
Grenache, Merlot-Cabernet, Red Table Wine
Calories: 271; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 57mg; Total Carbs: 17g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 28g; Sodium: 391mg;